How to Combine DevOps and Agile
Since its beginning, the Software development process is full of complex challenges, bugs, and issues with user experience. To counter these real-time problems, DevOps were first introduced to streamline the development process. This led to the quicker development process, better testing modules and releases too. Overall, DevOps complete software development cycle was optimized for enhanced delivery and future updates.
Though DevOps Solutions fulfil all the parameters for scalability, they lack the ease for continuous testing and improvement offered by Agile. On the other hand, Agile development is built of small targeted sprints, frequent testing, and releases along with the collaboration of the team for building a sophisticated approach to software development. Agile helps to bridge the gap between business operations and product user experience.
As the Product-owner focuses mainly on the features while the user wants to use the product, with every new release of the software, the gap between the development and operations can get wider, making the user confused about the new features of the product. With DevOps, you can integrate Agile principles throughout the development cycle to avoid these bottlenecks. Every feature built for the product is first tested through some users for feedback and then integrated with improvisation for optimized release as soon as possible. Thus, leveraging the benefit of both DevOps solutions and Agile, the Software development cycle perfectly builds the product with the user’s perspective.
Combine DevOps and Agile
Important Aspects Observed while combining DevOps and Agile
- Continuous communication is a must between the development and operations teams throughout the whole software development lifecycle. This helps both teams to have a broader understanding of the development process with goals and objectives to achieve. They should know the vision, release deadlines, technicality changes, deployment, tools, and automation process too. Now each team member considers the importance of the software building process as well as its maintenance and delivery of phases.
- DevOps management is systematically introduced into the Agile workflow by putting them strategically in sprints. Product functions, features, and operations are discussed between both teams in the open. DevOps teams also are invited to be part of the planning sessions, upcoming sprints, and daily meetings as well. DevOps teams are also involved in the sprint backlog planning, sprint review, plan alignment and scrum to keep the communication visible for improvisation at every development stage of the product.
- With Agile implementation for DevOps, the organization needs to include the operations process within the software development cycle. This minimizes the unnecessary features, enhances the consistency and speed ups the product to reach the market.
- Quality Analysis becomes a vital factor for integrating DevOps and Agile as the need for constant testing increases. DevOps manages performance and load testing while Agile focuses on functional testing of the development cycle.
- With a huge amount of code and features in a product, you also need automation at several stages of the development cycle too. The code scanning process is automated to find vulnerabilities quickly and resolve them at earliest. Automation also lowers the need for coordination activities from both the development and operations teams.
- After integrating DevOps with Agile project management, you must create an evaluation for the whole system to measure its efficiency. Keeping a stringent check will help the organization for multiple releases in an organized time frame.
- DevOps tools and techniques often are different for every field and organization, depending on the nature of the work they perform. As tools play a vital role in the successful implementation of DevOps with Agile, so make sure to follow Infrastructure as a Code (IaaC) concept throughout configurations. These concepts assist the developers in deploying the software application on multiple platforms with minimized tasks. DevOps service providers often bring the latest upgraded tool for your custom application and integrate within your system architecture to combine them with agile management.
Combining these two methodologies streamline the software development cycle for optimized performance in each phase and results in higher productivity. Though implementation brings a lot of changes as two teams need to continuously update each other and bring forth outcomes to move forward systematically.
One also needs to evaluate the need for combining DevOps with Agile. For instance, it is justified when companies update their application regularly to avoid user disruption for their 10+ million users. On the other hand, companies with monthly or bimonthly updates can do so in a traditional way. With a plethora of technological challenges and regular updates, it is necessary to start using DevOps from the beginning phase.